Sunday, December 9, 2012

World Cup opener in Nakiska, Canada

The Ski Cross World Cup season kicked off this weekend with the first race in Nakiska, Canada. I was feeling confident after my podium finish in the Canadian National Champs last weekend, and was excited to race in the season opener.

True to form, the Canadians built a great course; challenging, technical and exciting to ski. I laid down some fast times in training, however come qualification I didn't quite pull it off. A couple of small mistakes down the track pushed me back to 23rd position, just half a second from the finals cut off (top 16). A bit of a disappointment for the first race of the season, given than I'm feeling fitter and stronger than ever, and confident with my skiing.

Fortunately the Aussie boys both qualified and represented the team in fine form in todays finals. Anton Grimus had an amazing day and finished on the podium in third place. Scott Kneller was not far behind, finishing a solid 12th place. Well done boys!

We are now on the road to Telluride, Colorado, where the next Ski Cross World Cup will be held on the 12th and 13th of December. I've heard great things about this course; big jumps, berms and some technical features. Looking forward to learning from my mistakes from this race, putting it behind me, and starting fresh in Telluride.

Athletes inspecting the wu-tang out of the start.

Sucking in some air after the 1min 14 second course (Courtesy of Joe Fitzgerald). 

Scotty and Anton in the finish (Courtesy of Jen Owens)

Anton taking out the bronze behind the two Swiss boys 


The boys' competitiveness continues on the podium... (Courtesy of Jen Owens)

Cheering from the sidelines. Myself, Karolina, Langley and Em. 

Canadian traffic... 

Rocky Mountains, Canada 

 What else to do on a day off but build a gingerbread house?