Sunday, December 2, 2012

3rd in Canadian Ski Cross National Championships


3rd place in the first race of the season

Scotty and I taking out the bronze in Mens and Womens

Yesterday was a great day in the office (or rather in the Rocky Mountains…)

We competed in our first race of the season, the Canadian Ski Cross National Championships. Being the only race before the first World Cup next week in Nakiska, it was the perfect opportunity to put our off-season training to practise.

Like always, the first race of the season brings mixed emotions. I was very excited to race, yet completely nervous and anxious all at the same time. The first race is always nerve-racking. You never really know where you stand amongst the other competitors after 8 months since the last World Cup, and whether or not you’ve been doing the “right thing” in the off-season. The Aussies obviously have been doing something right…

I finished 3rd in a field of 21 girls, 16 of which were World Cup athletes. I had some great starts in my first two rounds, progressing me through to the big final against Marte H. Gjefson from Norway, Fanny Smith from Switzerland and Ophelie David from France. Starting with yellow bib in the final (the slowest qualifier of the four and therefore last gate choice), I didn’t have the best start however managed to make a pass on Ophelie half way down the course and jump on the podium. I was proud of my performance today, and I hope to bring this confidence into next week’s World Cup. The hard work I’ve put in on-snow and in the gym is paying off and I’m really happy with how things are shaping up this season so far.

Aussie teammates also had a great day, with Scott Kneller finishing in 3rd place in the Men’s, and Anton Grimus making the small finals and finishing in 8th. Unfortunately Sami and Jen didn’t have their best day, but there’s definitely more to come from those two. Thanks for the cheers in the start gate!

A big thanks to Marcos, our genius ski technician, for making my skis absolute rockets on race day.

The Nakiska World Cup is this coming Friday and Saturday (7th/8th Dec). I’ll be sure to keep you posted with results and broadcast times on Eurosport back home in Australia.