Saturday, March 3, 2012

Short-lived finals in Branäs


My result here in Branäs, Sweden, wasn’t quite what I was hoping for.
I posted the 10th fastest time in qualifications, which was a solid result; my third top-10 World Cup qualification for the season. Finals today were very shortly lived unfortunately. It felt like it was over before it had even begun. I pulled out of the start gate aggressively, wanting more than anything to progress through to the semi finals. Then before I knew it, I hit the ground and was on my side sliding down the hill right after the first turn. I got caught up with the Swiss girl, our skis tangled and my skis unfortunately slipped out from underneath me. One of those things in this sport that is just a bit of bad luck, and something you can’t always control. I hammered into the first turn, and I guess this is Ski Cross and this stuff happens. Extremely frustrating though!

I got up and finished the course well behind the other three racers, just in case I might be lucky enough to do a Bradbury and come from behind… Never happens to me, but I thought it was worth a shot! I finished my heat in fourth place, and was therefore pushed all the way back to 15th place overall. A bit of a disappointing result given that I qualified in 10th. On the bright side, I have now jumped up two spots into 16th place in the overall World Cup rankings, my best ever world ranking.

I am now on my way to Zurich, where we will spend the next couple of days resting, re-fuelling and preparing for the next World Cup in Grindelwald, Switzerland.

(Anton and I soaking up the Swedish skyline)

(Discussing tactics with the coach on finals day)

 (Qualifications)